See the wine trade in nothing but Lycra
As a group of wine trade cyclists gear up for this year’s fund-raising challenge for The Benevolent, we look back at the Lycra-clad participants from charity rides of the past.
As previously reported by the drinks business, Mentzendorff managing director Andrew Hawes has orchestrated a 350km bicycling challenge in aid of The Benevolent, and the riders will set off next week.
Among them will be me, as I swap the sodden streets of London for the sun-baked terrain of Tuscany – the ride takes us from the Maremma to Sienna, and has been dubbed the Giro di Toscana.
However, this is far from the first event of its type, and Hawes has in fact organised nine previous ordeals, all of which have been charity fundraising initiatives featuring plenty of punctures, demanding ascents and embarrassing attire.
With that in mind, we have revisited some of the moments from Benevolent bike rides of the past, so feast your eyes on the wine trade in close-fitting clothing, but please, for every ogle, the drinks trade charity wants a donation… so visit my fundraising page here.
Now, these rides have done so much to raise funds for The Benevolent, but the charity still needs your help, so, to sponsor this year’s ride, please visit my fundraising page here.
The first Mentzendorff Charity Ride commenced in 2005 with a route taking participants from Calais to Champagne to mark the arrival of Champagne Ayala into the Bollinger Family Group (SJB). The theme of Mentzendorff’s charity rides has continued to focus on their family-owned producers.
Since 2005, there have been nine Mentzendorff Charity Rides, visiting some stunning winery locations including Bodegas Roda in Rioja, Domaine Chanson in Burgundy, and Taylor’s Port in the Douro Valley.
The most recent ride took place in 2015, riding from M. Chapoutier’s base in Tain-l’Hermitage in the Northern Rhône via Mont Ventoux to Collioure on the Spanish border. All nine rides collectively have raised well in excess of £100,000 for The Benevolent.
The timeline for Mentzendorff / Benevolent bike rides of the past can be seen below:
- 2005 (Sept): Calais to Ayala
- 2006 (May): Calais to Ayala
- 2007 (May): Calais to Bollinger
- 2008 (May): Calais to Bollinger
- 2009 (May): Calais to Chanson (Beaune) via Bollinger
- 2010 (May): Calais to Bollinger
- 2011 (June): Bollinger to Chapoutier via Chanson
- 2013 (June): Tour of the Douro (Roda in Rioja, to Ribera del Duero, to Porto)
- 2015 (June): Tour de L’Oc (Chapoutier N.Rhone to Chapoutier Banylus, including climbing Mount Ventoux)
- 2019 (June): Tour di Toscana – follow the upcoming tour on Instagram through the drinks business and @mentzendorff_co using #MentzGdT